Driving a golf cart too fast can lead to accidents or injuries. Therefore, it becomes necessary for you to know how fast do golf carts go and what is its average speed.
Golf carts are a great way to get around the golf course and can help you travel long without stressing yourself, but have you ever wondered how fast do golf carts go?
While they may seem to move slowly on the golf course, they can reach a speed of up to 25 mph when driven on a paved surface. Moreover, it also depends on how much does your golf cart weigh.
Driving a golf cart can be fun, but driving it too fast can lead to accidents or injuries. So, it is mandatory for you to know how fast do golf carts go and what is its average speed.
How fast do golf carts go: Average golf cart speed
While the average speed of a golf cart may vary depending on the make and model, most golf carts have a top speed of between 12 and 14 miles per hour. Some golf carts may be able to reach speeds of up to 25 mph. However, it’s important to note that most golf courses have a maximum speed limit of 10 mph for golf carts.
Are electric golf carts faster or gas golf carts?
Electric golf carts are typically slower than gas golf carts. However, they can reach speeds of up to 25 mph when driven on a paved surface. Gas golf carts typically have a top speed of between 15 and 20 miles per hour. But, the electric carts can slow down as the battery starts to reduce.
How fast can a 48 V golf cart go?
Now that you are well aware of the average speed of a golf cart, how fast does a 48V golf cart go? A standard 48 V can travel between 12 to 14 mph, but when you apply modifications to the cart, it can extend its top speeds of 20 to 24 mph.
Does 48 – a volt cart travel faster than a 36-volt cart?
A 48-volt golf cart will not go any faster than a 36-volt golf cart. However, there are some advantages to 48-volt carts. Both 36V and 48V golf carts will reach the same top speed, but the difference between the two is the amount of torque/power they provide.
A 48V golf cart supplies the engine with a little more power providing a few advantages over a 36V. However, the speed of the cart will also depend on the weight of the cart and the terrain.
Faster acceleration time: A 48V electric golf cart has a higher voltage than other models, which provides the engine with more power and makes the acceleration quicker.
Longer distance: An electric golf cart that operates on 48V draws fewer amps, meaning it can travel a longer distance before needing to be recharged.
Power on all terrains: More torque means that a cart can traverse through hilly and uneven terrain slightly easier on a 48V cart than a 36V.
Moreover, you will experience quicker acceleration with a 48-volt golf cart. But, If you are only concerned with top speed, both types of carts will give you the same results.
Ways to increase the speed of a golf cart
If you want your golf carts to increase speed, you need to make some modifications that will enhance the performance and contribute to the overall speed. There are a few ways to increase your golf cart’s speed. Here are a few ways that help in enhancing the speed of golf carts to get the best.
- One way is to upgrade the motor. Because if you don’t upgrade the motor, the altering coding will only increase your speed up to a limit. Another way is to install a higher-voltage battery.
- You can also install a speed chip or controller. The very first thing is to alter the speed limitations imposed on the cart.
- Finally, you can install larger tires. Because when the tires are larger, the surface area is large, which creates friction. This leads to more powerful and faster propulsion.
How fast can street-legal golf carts go?
You can take your carts to the street, but before that, you need to have the relevant documents checked as well as make specific modifications. One such modification is that the cart needs to do at least 20 miles per hour. Once it reaches these speeds, it will be permitted to travel over on a 35 miles per hour road.
Are there any dangers associated with driving a golf cart too fast?
Yes, there are definitely dangers associated with driving a golf cart too fast. Golf carts are not designed for high speeds and can become unstable at high speeds. This can lead to accidents or injuries. Driving a golf cart too fast can also damage the cart itself.
Tips for driving a golf cart safely at high speeds
If you’re going to drive a golf cart at high speeds, there are some safety tips you should follow:
- Only drive in areas where it is safe to do so. Avoid crowded areas and areas with obstacles.
- Make sure the cart is in good condition before driving it at high speeds.
- Wear proper safety gear, including a helmet, seatbelt, and protective clothing.
- Drive defensively and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Follow all posted speed limits and traffic laws.
- Never drink and drive! Alcohol slows reaction time and impairs judgment.
- Use caution when passing other vehicles or pedestrians.
- Be prepared for sudden stops or changes in direction by keeping your hands on the wheel at all times.
- Avoid driving in wet weather conditions, as slick surfaces can increase the risk of accidents.
- Inspect the brakes before driving and be familiar with how they work before attempting to drive at high speeds.
Golf carts are becoming more popular every year. They’re convenient, they’re eco-friendly, and they’re a lot of fun to drive. But before you hop behind the wheel of one, it’s important to know how fast they can go and whether or not it’s safe to drive them at high speeds. However, if you follow the tips above, you can safely enjoy driving your golf cart at high speeds.