Removing golf spikes can be tricky. You should know how to remove golf spikes safely and effectively before attempting it yourself.
Golf shoes are an integral part of your golfing gear, offering stability and traction on the course. Over time, the spikes on these shoes can wear down or become damaged, affecting your performance. Thus, it is important to know how to remove and replace spikes from golf shoes.
We will focus on how to remove spikes from Nike shoes, considering that Nike is one of the most popular brands of golf shoes.
I. How to remove spikes from Nike shoes?
Removing golf spikes can seem daunting, but with the right tools and instructions, it can be a breeze.
Before you begin the process of removing spikes from your Nike golf shoes, gather the following materials:
- Spike wrench
- cleaning tool or wire brush
- mild soap and water
- new spikes
II. Steps On How To Remove and Replace Golf Spikes
Here are the essential steps you need to follow to remove golf spikes safely and effectively.
Step 1: Preparation
To start the process, begin by cleaning the golf shoes‘ cleats. Use hot soapy water to thoroughly clean the underside of the shoes, ensuring to remove any mud or debris.
If you have a golf cleaning tool with a brush end, use it. However, if not available, a wire brush or a stiff brush can also be effective in getting the job done.
Step 2: Apply Lubricant
To ease the removal process, apply some lubricant to the spike’s receptacle. This step is especially helpful if the spikes are tightly screwed in or have been in place for a long time.
Step 3: Use the Spike Wrench
Now comes the main part of the process. Place the prongs of the spike wrench in the two holes of the spike.
Turn the wrench counterclockwise to loosen the spike, similar to unscrewing a screw. Continue turning until the spike comes out completely. Repeat this process for all the spikes you want to replace.
Step 4: Clean the holes
Once all the spikes are removed, use the brush to clean out any remaining dirt or debris from the spike holes.
Step 5: Install New Spikes
Now, it’s time to change spikes that are worn out with brand-new ones. To do this, simply use your fingers to attach the new spikes securely to the receptacle.
With a gentle clockwise turn, fix them in place, making sure they fit snugly. For an added level of security, utilize your spike wrench to tighten them further, ensuring they are firmly fastened and ready for your next round on the golf course.
III. Tips to avoid damage
By taking proper care of your shoes, you can extend their life and keep them looking and performing their best. Below we have mentioned some points to consider to avoid damaging your shoe spikes.
- Always use a golf spike wrench to remove or replace spikes. Do not use any other type of tool, as this can damage the spikes.
- Be sure to twist the wrench in the correct direction when removing or replacing spikes. Twisting in the wrong direction can strip the threads on the spikes and make them difficult to remove.
- When removing spikes, be sure to pull them straight out of the shoe. Do not wiggle or twist them, as this can damage the spike holes.
- When replacing spikes, be sure to start them in the hole straight and then twist them until they are snug.
- Be careful not to over-tighten the spikes, as this can strip the threads or break the spike.
- Always store your golf spike wrench in a safe place when not in use.
- Inspect your spikes regularly to ensure they are tight and in good condition.
- Do not wear spiked golf shoes on hard surfaces such as concrete or asphalt, as this can damage the spikes.
- Do not wear spiked golf shoes in the rain or wet conditions, as this can damage the spikes and make them slip.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the care and use of your golf shoes and spikes.
IV. Importance of removing and replacing golf spikes
Golf spikes are important for traction and stability when swinging a golf club. They also help to protect the bottom of the golf shoe from wear. Over time, the spikes will wear down and need to be replaced. It is important to remove the old spikes before installing new ones.
- Traction: Spikes help to provide traction on the golf course. They also help to keep your feet from slipping when swinging the club.
- Stability: Spikes help to provide stability when swinging a golf club. They also help to keep your feet from moving around in the shoes when you are walking.
- Wear and tear: Over time, the spikes on the bottom of your golf shoes will wear down. This can cause the shoes to slip when swinging the golf club. It is important to replace the spikes on a regular basis to ensure traction and stability.
- Protection: Golf spikes help to protect the bottom of your golf shoes from wear. They also help to keep the shoes clean by keeping dirt and debris out.
- Installation: It is important to remove the old spikes from your golf shoes before installing new ones. This ensures that the new spikes are installed properly and will not come loose.
- Safety: Worn or damaged spikes can pose a safety hazard on the golf course. Inspecting your spikes regularly and replacing them if they are worn or damaged is important.
V. Cleaning your golf spikes
In addition to replacing golf shoe spikes from time to time, cleaning your golf spikes after each round is essential.
Use a wet cloth or golf towel to wipe away dirt and grass clippings from the spikes and shoe soles. This simple habit will help maintain the spikes’ grip and prevent any build-up that could hinder their performance.
VI. When to swap your golf shoe spikes?
The frequency of spike replacement depends on how often you play and the terrain you encounter. However, ideally need to change spikes every 10-15 rounds or twice a year. If you are a less frequent player, then you may need to replace them only once a year.
VII. Signs that its time to replace your golf shoe spikes
It is important to keep an eye out for signs that indicate it’s time to replace your golf shoe spikes:
- Significant wear and tears on the spikes
- Loss of traction, leading to slips and slides during your swing
- Damaged threads on the spikes make them difficult to screw in or out
- You notice that you’ve lost a spike, impacting stability and balance
- The spikes start to chip away, affecting their overall performance
- Your feet begin to feel discomfort or pain, signaling reduced support from the spikes.
VIII. Spiked Vs Spikeless Golf Shoes
While spiked golf shoes offer better traction on the golf course, spikeless golf shoes are gaining popularity due to their versatility and off-course appeal. Spiked shoes are ideal for players who prioritize stability and grip, especially in wet conditions.
On the other hand, spikeless shoes are lightweight and more comfortable for everyday wear but may not provide the same level of traction on the course.
Here is a glance at Spiked vs. spikeless golf shoes
|Spiked golf shoes
|Spikeless golf shoes
|Excellent traction on the turf
|Moderate traction on the turf
|High stability during swing
|Moderate stability during swing
|Primarily designed for on-course use
|Versatile, suitable for on and off-course wear
|Spikes may wear out over time and need replacement
|No spikes to wear out, potentially longer lifespan
|Ideal for wet and uneven terrains
|Better suited for dry and even terrains
Also Read – Sqairz Speed Bold Shoes Review
IX. Best Golf Spikes
Here is a list of golf spikes that are worth considering:
- Champ Scorpion Stinger Golf Spikes
- Champ Golf Zarma Spikes
- Gusnilo Easy Replacement Spikes
- Softspikes Black Widow Golf Cleat
- SOLM8 – Soft Spikes Replacement for Golf Shoes
X. Can you remove spikes from Foot Joy golf shoes?
Yes, you can remove spikes from FootJoy golf shoes. However, FootJoy.com does not carry replacement spikes, which can make it challenging to find compatible replacements.
Despite this, you can try looking for compatible replacement spikes at local dealers or directly from the manufacturer.
Now that you are well aware of the importance and how to remove golf spikes. You can ensure that your golf spikes are in good condition and will not cause any problems on the golf course just by following the above-mentioned tips, and you are all done.
1. Why are metal spikes banned from golf?
Metal spikes are banned from golf because they can damage the greens. The spikes also can cause injuries if they come loose and fall out of the shoe. Rubber spikes are a safer option and do not damage the greens.
2. Can you wear spikes without pins?
You can wear spikes without pins, but they will not provide as much traction. The pins help to keep the spikes in place and provide more traction on the golf course.