In the world of golf simulation and performance analysis, two notable contenders have emerged: the SkyTrak Plus and the Bushnell Launch Pro.
These two launch monitors offer golfers valuable insights into their game and come with distinct features to cater to varying needs. This review aims to provide a balanced overview of these launch monitors without any biased perspectives.
I. My Experience with SkyTrak Plus vs Bushnell Launch Pro
Improving your golf game goes beyond swinging aimlessly. It’s about comprehending those swings and shots.
So, some days ago, when I was in the market for best golf simulators and launch monitors, I had put the Bushnell Launch Pro and the SkyTrak launch monitor to the test.
Now, with the latest release from SkyTrak golf, the SkyTrak+ launch monitor, I’m diving into a comparison of SkyTrak+ vs. Bushnell Launch Pro. Both of these devices come with a golf simulator, adding another layer to the equation.
Let’s dive in and see which one suits your golfing needs.
1. SkyTrak+ Launch Monitor Review
SkyTrak+ is the latest and upgraded version of the SkyTrak. Setting it up was a breeze. It practically walked me through the process with a quick calibration that had me teeing off in no time.
The built-in game improvement features were a nice touch. Skills assessment and challenges had me honing in on accuracy and distance control.
Plus, its seamless integration with various golf simulation software made me feel like I was really out there on some of the world’s best courses.
One notable aspect was how efficient it was in capturing data on my shots. It provided accurate measurements of the club head and ball flight, which was useful for identifying areas in need of swing improvement. Real-time adjustments yielded immediate results.
In a nutshell, the SkyTrak+ launch monitor left a positive impact. It delivered on performance and packed in some nifty features that any golfer would appreciate.
2. Bushnell Launch Pro Launch Monitor Review
Now, let’s shift our focus to the Bushnell Launch Pro, which requires a bit more time and patience to become acquainted with compared to the SkyTrak+. However, this learning curve didn’t skew my perspective in favor of the SkyTrak+.
The initial setup is largely a one-time task, so it shouldn’t be a major concern if the device excels in other areas. Once I got past the learning curve, the Bushnell Launch Pro proved to be a dependable tool.
Its camera-based technology delivered accurate shot statistics, and the flexibility to customize settings with various software options allowed for tailored practice sessions. The Bushnell Launch Pro’s versatility enabled both indoor and outdoor setups.
After extensively testing the Bushnell, it consistently provided tour-level club and ball data, offering valuable performance insights whether on the outdoor range or within the confines of an indoor golf simulator.
3. Overall Experience
Based on my hands-on experience testing these two launch monitors, it’s clear that the SkyTrak+ launch monitor shines with its user-friendly setup and versatile features.
In contrast, the Bushnell Launch Pro presented a somewhat more complex setup process, but it consistently provided reliable performance and adaptability, making it a viable option for those who plan to use the launch monitor outdoors.
When it comes to making your choice between them, it all comes down to your personal preferences and priorities.
But before you form an opinion, let’s delve into a more detailed examination of each performance factor. So, for now, refrain from drawing any conclusions just yet.
- Offers tiered subscription plan
- Comes with three cameras
- Multiple software options available
- Long battery life
- Photo limitation in direct sunlight
- Full feature needs subscription
- FSX Play software has high computer requirements
II. Based On Performance factors: Which Is Better?
Let us take a look at each performance factor:
The SkyTrak+ employs high-speed photography to deliver precise data on ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, and more. It’s equipped with a built-in leveling system, ensuring accuracy on any surface.
On the other hand, the Bushnell Launch Pro relies on highly effective infrared cameras for tracking shots and collecting precise data, making it a contender for the title of the most accurate launch monitor in the market.
The use of infrared cameras instills trust in the data provided, facilitating better game analysis and improvement.
In summary, while the SkyTrak+ offers commendable accuracy, the Bushnell Launch Pro outperforms all other launch monitors in this parameter, setting a high standard in the industry.
Winner: Bushnell launch pro launch monitor and simulator
Both the SkyTrak+ and the Bushnell Launch Pro offer portability, making them suitable for use in various locations. Their relatively compact and lightweight designs make them easy to transport to your preferred practice spot.
Winner: It’s a tie between both.
Both the SkyTrak+ and the Bushnell Launch Pro offer extensive compatibility with a variety of devices, including iOS, Android, and PC. However, the Bushnell Launch Pro has a limitation—it won’t operate outside the U.S., which could be a drawback for international users.
So, for someone like me who aspires to explore scenic golf courses around the world (even though I haven’t had the chance to do so yet), this limitation could pose a significant challenge when considering the Bushnell option.
Winner: In this department, I must admit that SkyTrak+ takes the lead due to that one risk factor of Bushnell.
The SkyTrak+ is known for its user-friendly nature and simple setup as a golf simulator. It offers diverse practice modes and the ability to play virtual golf on courses from around the globe, with a staggering selection of over 100,000 courses. This makes honing golf skills engaging and enjoyable, all within the comfort of your home.
In contrast, the Bushnell Launch Pro can be a bit more tedious to set up due to its numerous features, potentially affecting its usability. Furthermore, it provides a limited selection of only 10 world-famous golf courses for virtual play.
Winner: With its inclusion of access to numerous golf courses, SkyTrak+ is the winner.
5. Measurements and Analysis
The SkyTrak+ offers advanced features for improved gameplay insights, but a basic subscription isn’t enough, as some require upgrading to the SkyTrak game improvement plan.
Conversely, the Bushnell Launch Pro, with its camera-based tech, delivers comprehensive statistical information, covering all the essential game improvement features you need in a launch monitor.
Winner: Bushnell Launch Pro offers more accurate data and analysis.
6. Indoor / Outdoor Use
SkyTrak Plus is designed primarily for indoor use. It has limited outdoor functionality on mats only. It requires a PC or mobile device connection and offers elevation adjustment but lacks built-in environmental sensors like the Launch Pro.
Bushnell Launch Pro is suitable for indoor golf simulation and outdoor use at ranges or courses. Features built-in display, accelerometer for ground assessment, and barometer for altitude and distance accuracy.
Winner: Bushnell Launch Pro is a clear winner in this department.
|Factors||SkyTrak+ launch monitor||Bushnell launch pro||Winner|
|Accuracy||8||10||Bushnell launch pro|
|Measurements and Analysis||7||9||Bushnell launch pro|
|Indoor/outdoor usage||6||9||Bushnell launch pro|
III. Pros and cons of SkyTrak Plus Launch Monitor vs. Bushnell Launch Pro
Both Skytrak+ and Bushnell Launch Pro are among the best golf launch monitors available in the market currently. However, they both come with their own set of pros and cons.
1. SkyTrak+ launch monitor
- Intuitive and user-friendly
- Delivers a top-notch app experience
- Offers better data accuracy than the previous model
- Access to 100,000+ virtual golf courses
- No need for marked balls or club stickers to track data
- Full access to features requires an annual subscription
2. Bushnell launch pro launch monitor
- Rich statistical data
- Exceptional infrared camera accuracy
- Personalized through diverse software choices
- Setup and usage complexity due to plenty of features
- Limited functionality outside of the U.S.
IV. Data Measurements
Below is the list of parameters measured by SkyTrak Plus and Bushnell Launch Pro:
1. SkyTrak Plus launch monitor data measurements
- Ball data: Ball Speed, Launch Angle, Backspin, Side Spin, Side Angle, Carry Distance, Roll Out and Total Distance, Clubhead Speed, Angle of Descent, and 3D Flight Path.
- New golf club data: Smash Factor, Club Path, Face Angle, Face to Path, and Face to Target.
2. Bushnell Launch Pro launch monitors data measurements
- Ball and launch data: Carry Distance, Horizontal Launch Angle, Vertical Launch Angle, Side Angle, Ball Speed, Total Spin, Back Spin, Side Spin, and Spin Axis.
- Club and swing data: Club Head Speed, Smash Factor, Club Path, and Angle of Attack.
V. Features and Specifications
Here is a comparison of the SkyTrak+ and Bushnell Launch Pro golf launch monitor specifications:
|Detail||SkyTrak+||Bushnell Launch Pro|
|Battery life||4-5 hours||5-7 hours|
|Simulation software||TGC, E6 Connect, and World Golf Tour||Foresight FSX Play Simulation Software|
|Connectivity||Full USB or micro USB cord||Ethernet, USB-C cable|
|Technology||High-speed camera sensors||Radar-based photometric sensors|
|Weight||3 lbs||5 lbs|
|Dimensions||7” height X 8” width X 2.75” depth||12” height X 6” width X 5” length|
VI. Setup and use: SkyTrak Plus vs. Bushnell Launch Pro
Both the SkyTrak Plus and Bushnell Launch Pro launch monitors offer hassle-free setups with minimal space requirements.
SkyTrak Plus Setup:
- Place an alignment stick towards your target in the hitting zone.
- Position another alignment stick along the front edge of the SkyTrak Plus.
- Adjust the SkyTrak Plus until both alignment sticks appear parallel, following the user guide’s recommended method.
Bushnell Launch Pro Setup:
- Use the provided reflective alignment stick, pointing it toward your target.
- The cameras in the Launch Pro instantly lock onto the alignment stick.
- The screen displays the angle of the stick relative to the front edge of the launch monitor.
- Once the angle is locked on, remove the stick. This process takes about 5 seconds and is highly reliable.
2. Hitting Area
The hitting area is the space where the golfer strikes the ball. It is a crucial aspect to consider when setting up both the SkyTrak Plus and Bushnell Launch Pro launch monitors.
- Projects a red laser dot on the ground for ball placement.
- Offers a hitting area with about 3-4 inches of tolerance.
Bushnell Launch Pro:
- Provides a spacious hitting area of 7” x 10”.
- Displays an outline of the hitting area and ball position on its screen.
- Offers a clear indication when the ball is within the hitting area, ensuring a ready signal before hitting.
3. Connection Methods
Both the SkyTrak Plus and Bushnell Launch Pro can connect via WiFi or an internet-enabled PC. The recommended method is giving them access to your home WiFi for easy setup.
Additionally, you can use USB-C or Ethernet as wired connections with the Launch Pro and USB-C with the Skytrak Plus.
VII. My Take
Both the SkyTrak+ and the Bushnell Launch Pro have their strengths and quirks. Your choice comes down to what you’re looking for and how much you’re willing to invest.
In terms of pricing, the SkyTrak+ is a budget-friendly option with essential data metrics, while the Bushnell Launch Pro is a premium choice with advanced analysis. However, if you’re fortunate, you might find the Bushnell Launch Pro on sale for a price similar to that of the SkyTrak+.